Friday, October 20, 2017

AASHE Conference

 Hey y'all!

I am beyond excited to be able to share with you what the Green Team did this past week in San Antonio, Texas. We were privileged to have the opportunity to attend and present at the national AASHE conference! AASHE is the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, and we were able to talk with sustainability representatives and concerned students from campuses across the United States! 

It was amazing to see the response to our presentation about what we are doing here at Missouri State. Everyone was so excited to take this back to THEIR campus and try it for themselves. "Anyone can build a hydroponics setup, for any space, on any budget" - this is something that really seemed to resonate with everyone we spoke to. And it's so true!! Being sustainable doesn't have to be expensive, and baby steps can make a huge difference. 

Needless to say, I came back from San Antonio even more excited about my job, and that I'm a part of something making a difference across the country. The fact that we can save money is awesome, but I think even more important is the educational aspect. It's important for people to be conscious of our environment and how what they do every day affects it, but also to know where their food is coming from. Specifically from the standpoint of a College of Ag student, projects like this are a great way to reshape the misconceptions many people have of agriculture... Because farmers feed the world and, as a whole, we (me, my family, and the other 2% of the population) want to do it responsibly. 🌿

As always, feel free to comment below!
Have a great weekend,

Rachel 👩🏼‍🌾


2 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Emily and I attended your lecture at the AASHE conference. I have been working with my University's staff and they are on board for hopefully starting a hydroponics system similar to yours! I was wondering if I could possibly get your email and the powerpoint you presented to us at your lecture. I would like to show it to the staff as well as get some more information from you. Thank you so much, you have inspired us to start this wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily!
      That's beyond awesome, and we're so excited for you! My email is veenstra510@live.missouristate.edu, and if you send me a message, I can get you my supervisor's information so we can answer all your questions and get that presentation to you!
      Thanks,
      Rachel

      Delete